Friday, April 3, 2009

Identifying with Music

Being an extremely broad subject with countless definitions, music is so integrated into just about everyone’s life that it’s difficult to determine one’s exact age upon first feeling the effects of it. Most people I am sure were exposed to music during infancy; this initial exposure and the health benefits that come with it being even older than the onset of memory. Speaking of infancy and early childhood, the music listened to during this crucial stage is even, at these early ages, a creator of identity. The lullabies and soft, maybe classical music often thought to be appropriate for children conjures images of fantasy and fairy tales, and children can pretend to be whoever they want to be (a princess, an explorer…) while listening to this music.
You or I might not consider it pleasurable listening to pots and pans clanging on the floor, a 2-year-old percussionist singing along. But it is music to him. During the onset of electronic music in the 50’s, composer Edgard Varèse had a definition for what he called “The liberation of sound.” It was “the right to make music with any and all sounds.” An important idea lies here. Of all the types of media that help create identity through how they are experienced, music is the simplest yet the most powerful, so powerful that a toddler can feel its affects and is even able to create it himself. That’s certainly influence.

I am sure that young children are aware of how powerful music is, because in my oldest memories this is the case. First seeking music at age 2, I took piano lessons and may have learned whatever a toddler is able to learn on piano. Unfortunately I can’t play the piano today. Around this age I developed a love of opera and attempted to “own” the music by “conducting” and singing along upon hearing it. To this day I love opera. But now my favourite is jazz, I love how broad it is. Without a doubt it shapes my identity because I believe it’s more open to interpretation and diversity than any other genre, and often I feel very changeable with different moods. For me, the type of jazz I hear can affect my feelings almost instantly and draw me in more than other genres do. I am a fan of almost all music, except for certain country, metal and pop- these genres rarely have any meaning for me, but all others I can think of I can enjoy for being able to relate to in some way.
My musical influences range widely as well. I play the clarinet and saxophone. Having lived in the Bahamas, Germany, Brazil and France I enjoy music from all of those places. I’m especially a fan of Brazilian artists such as Sergio Mendes, Ivete Sangalo, Cidade Negra, Jota Quest and Charlie Brown Jr. This type of music is rewarding for me because it’s a link with the country closest to my heart. A type of music that conjures images of a place and people, through its unique melodies, rhythms, and other dynamics is a quality that draws people to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment