Monday, February 22, 2010

A Refreshing Documentary from a few years past

As a high school student in my last year, I recall watching a documentary called Off to War- From Rural Arkansas to Iraq. It was a modern war documentary, part of which examined the situation of young soldier Matt Hertlein. I was surprised that my own negative opinion of the American soldiers in Iraq turned into one of sympathy, and I recognized that he helped me see a very different side of ex-pats who go to “fight for freedom.” My mind was opened even further by this documentary; it reminded my peers as well as myself that any major movement in governments throughout history must undergo accusations, criticism, and quarrels with various other countries before showing real signs of improvement and rehabilitation. Although I disagree with the soldiers’ initial mission and what they have been aiming for in the War on Terror, I somewhat enjoyed viewing a fresh standpoint from the mind of a young American soldier. Seeing Hertlein’s attitude towards war reminded me that not all American soldiers feel the same collectively; he stayed grounded just like anyone and eventually stood up for his idea to retire from Iraq and go home to the United States. I’m glad he was filmed in the documentary as it truly made an impact. I hope that more American soldiers in the Middle East are able to think about their situation for themselves at least, and plan their next step in life based on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment